Friday, November 12, 2010

The Big Paper

I only have one class left, and my homework is to paint a picture on the half-sheet of stretched paper I have. Even though it's called a half-sheet it's actually quite big.

I decided for the rest of this week I would do some smaller paintings as a practice for the bigger one. My first thought was to do this windmill pic my brother took when he lived in Belgium.


It's hard to tell from this pic, but the sky in my first attempt looked more like big city haze and pollution than the Dutch countryside. Needless to say, that one got the boot.


The next one still turned out a little unfortunate, especially the foliage.


It does get marginally better with some cropping:


I'll keep adding to this post as I continue working my way up to the big paper. The fun news is I don't have a paintbrush big enough for such a big paper, so I will have to do some art supplies shopping. Poor me. :)

Update:
I went out today and got a new brush. It's got an interesting shape, kind of like a dagger, but I didn't really need it tonight so I haven't put it to the test yet.

Here's what I painted tonight. It was pretty fun, but definitely not something I want to try to do again on the big paper. In case you'd like to meet up with this lovely lady, you can find in her the uncanny valley. =) Yes, she is a little out of proportion. Or a lot.


I am rather fond of her flowers though.


No comments: