Monday, March 5, 2012

Class 6: Bird (Seagull)



The teacher demonstrated a parrot, but I knew I wanted to do something more subtle, so I chose to do a seagull instead.  It's been a while since I've loved a painting, but I really think this bird came out nice.


For critique, I'd say I would like to be more confident in my brush strokes.  I'm dabbing more than I'd like and it shows.  I also got too busy near the tail of the bird because I couldn't get it to come out right, and I feel like that's where my eye is going.

What I love is the texture of the wood, and the deep red of the tip of his beak, contrasted with the white of the paper behind the red.  I'm also glad I went with a subtle background.

CLICK HERE to see the seagull photo I referenced from Brian Wilson.  I stuck pretty closely to the bird shape, but I took a lot of liberties with the colors and shadows to make it more interesting and dramatic.



Next week:  Dog or cat

No comments: