To prepare, I did a small study during my lunch hour. I tried to do a slanted horizon, but it didn't work at all. I'm so glad I did the study first:
This is how far I got during class. I liked it a lot, but I wasn't getting the misty mountain effect, and the sail needed more detail. I was pretty nervous that I'd mess it up, but I'm glad I made the changes.
First I used a scrubber to fade out the rooftops and shadows, and then I darkened the mountain in a few places, making sure to soften all of my edges. I added more masts, and some more detail to the sail and water, and that was about it. This was my last class for this session, and I'm not planning on taking any more classes until after the holidays, so I might not be posting much for a while.